Mom had a recheck appointment with Dr. Savage today. She looks good, but unfortunately the CA119 test (cancer marker test) showed over 4600 – the highest it has ever been.
The most recent chemo treatments are not working to keep the cancer in check.
And to add insult to injury, Mom had fallen at home an hour or so before her appointment. Trying to reach her dog on the floor, she lost her balance and fell on her left side, which is now bruised and very sore.
It was a frustrating, painful morning, but hope was still being offered.
Dr. Savage said she’d been thinking about Mom’s case in the middle of the night and came up with three possible courses of treatment.
Treatment Option 1: Chemo Cocktail
Apparently patients that can’t tolerate oral chemotherapies often do just fine with infusions. The doctor hopes that will be the case with Mom.
The new mix will be made up of four different drugs, administered once a week.
She’ll get her first dose of this new mix next Tuesday.
Option 2: Radiation
If Mom’s cancer has not metastasized, direct radiation of the tumor in her pancreas is possible.
Her last MRI was in October, but on Monday she’ll have another one to see what’s going on in there.
If the tumor is still a single, this would be an option.
Option 3: Immunotherapy Clinical Trial
Apparently there’s an immunotherapy clinical trial that has not had a pancreatic cancer patient as a subject.
If she did say ‘yes’ to this one, it would be free to do so, but the side effects are as unknown as its curative effects.
All these things are extremely hard on the mind, body and soul. She’s hurting much of the time, and very, very tired.
We talked about all this being her decision. For as much as I want her to be with me, I don’t want my own selfishness to put her through painful days.
For now, I’m just happy there are options available. And leaving room for the possibility of a miracle.